19990324: Partial NGM Grids

Devin,

If you are seeing data in the NW chunk of the US, then
it sounds like you are looking at an Alaskan grid on a
US projection.

Since December, the IDD has been receiving NOAAport data, which
includes NGM grids on several projections, not just #211.
To specify that you want to send grid #211 ngm files to
dcgrib, you should specify grid "Q" in the pqact.conf entry,
or use the "@@@" template in dcgrib to place different grids into
separate files.

Here is a segment of the pqact.conf entry for NGM grids:
#
# NGM model output
# Grid #211 CONUS   80km: ^[YZ].Q.*/mNGM
# Grid #207 Alaska  95km: ^[YZ].N.*/mNGM
# Grid #202 CONUS  190km: ^[YZ].I.*/mNGM
# Grid #213 CONUS 47.5km: ^[YZ].H.*/mNGM
# Select any/all grids desired from [QNIH]
HRS     ^[YZ].[Q].*/mNGM
        PIPE    decoders/dcgrib -d logs/dcgrib.log
                -g /home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/tables
                PACK data/gempak/hds/YYMMDDHH_ngm@@@.gem

If you pass only grid "Q" to the decoder, you do not need to use the
@@@ template. If you pass more than one projection to the decoder, use
the template to separate out the grids into different file names,
or use a separate pqact.conf entry for each projection.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support