19990226: gempak/ldm

>From: address@hidden (Kathy Fryberger)

>I am trying to collect our state forecast in a local file to allow our Web
>Server to look at it.  And my statement in pqact.conf worked just fine. But
>when I run gempak, select nwx, select public products, select state forecasts,
>click on our state, I get 'no report from KFSD'.  But in my gempak data
>directory, there is a file containing today's state forecast.  And I was able
>to save the it in a file for the Web.  Why isn't gempak seeing this
>state forecast today?  Is it because I had an additional WMO statement that
>saved it to another file?  The permissions look correct on all the files and
>directories and other ldm data is coming in just fine. Please let me know
>if you need further info.  thanks!!!!!!!
>address@hidden  Kathy Fryberger  605-394-2291
>South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
>Rapid City, South Dakota

Kathy,
This mornings KFSD state forecast was in the 99022610.stfcst file
and is not being retrieved by nwx.

The reason that nwx can't find the report is that St. Louis (KLSX) has
a "null" character in their report which makes nwx stop reading-
and therefore cannot find any station further down in the file.

Here is a quick fix...
cd $TEXT_DATA/pubprod/stfcst
mv 99022610.stfcst 99022610.stfcst.bak
cat 99022610.stfcst.bak | tr -d '\000' > ! 99022610.stfcst

The above command will delete all "null" characters from the file.

A longterm fix will be to make nwx more forgiving of imbedded
null characters and other garbage in the data stream.

Steve Chiswell