19990205: couple of more Gempak/GARP questions

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

>I have two more Gempak/Garp questions:
>
>1) I added level up to 10mb to plot from the sounding data in GARP, but
>I don't see how
>to add higher levels to the choices offered for the models in
>Garp_defaults.  For example,
>the NCEP FTP avn files has data to 10mb, but the level menu only goes to
>200mb, I can
>manually type in 10mb, but I would like to add that to a choice in the
>pop-up window.

This is a bug in the $GARPHOME/gui/sgridcb.c routine. I placed this
fixed routine in ~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/patches/garp_2.01 for you
if this is on a system you built gempak on. If this was a binary
distribution you have, let me know so I can post a binary of Garp.

>2) I would like to generate text output of a grid point forecast
>sounding using GEMPAK.  That is I would like a text equivalent of the
>model vertical profile that is available under GARP, with geopotential,
>pressure, temp, dewpoint, and wind speed and direction.  I remember
>something from
>the workshop vaguely, but not enough to help and I did not take good
>notes that day.

Basically, you have to run GDPROF 3 times, once for tmpc, once for dwpc and
once for hght. UREL and VREL are output each time. In this format, its not
very close to the snlist output, so some post processing would be needed.

>Thanks,
>
>Robert Mullenax

Steve Chiswell