19990201: data retrieval...

Hmm,
I assume that you can run gdinfo on the command line and
look at the contents of the file. You mentioned you
moved the file to a different machine (is the script being
run locally on that machine?)

Cound the error message "file not found" be coming from somewhere
else in the script, like not finding the GEMPAK program?

Steve