990125: Gempak Status--Update!

Jim,

When you run ntl, it tries to allocate 128 colors for
satellite images, 33 for graphics, and 16 for radar images.

That adds up to 177 or so colors, and for 8 bit graphics, that means
that you definitely have to launch ntl before color hogs like
web browsers. I even found that the fvwm needed too many colors
on one machine. Generally, if you launch ntl before a browser, you
can get the colors needed, and most web browsers can negotiate
the color map by themselves.

You can however launch ntl with command line options to allocate fewer
colors. For instance, you might be happy looking at satellite images using
64 colors, and save 64 colors. To launch this way, "ntl -s 64".
The -s is the flag for satellite allocation. If ntl fails,
then it usually tells you how many colors are available and how
many it needs. You can use this output to see how much you have to cut
down your request for.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support