19990121: Problem with installing NAWIPS-5.4

>From: Dave Levinson <address@hidden>

>Hi there:
>
>I am trying to install NAWIPS 5.4 onto a SUN Ultra 10 machine, and
>unfortunately I'm not an expert at this!  After unpacking and un-taring
>the program files, I tried the command:  make all >$ make.out $,  but
>this failed.  The error said command not found.  Is it possible that
>this is incorrect? I would appreciate any help.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave.
>
>--
>Dr. David Levinson, Meteorologist
>Northwest Watershed Research Center
>USDA-Agricultural Research Service
>800 Park Blvd., Plaza IV, Suite 105
>Boise, Idaho 83712
>Ph (208) 422-0724, Fax (208) 334-1502

Dave,

first, there is a typo in your csh command. It should read:
make all >& make.out &

The "$" characters are incorrect.

If "make" is not found, then it is because the directory /usr/ccs/bin
is not in your path. When building gempak, you should have at least
a minimal path with the necessary system programs defined, eg:

setenv PATH .:/usr/ccs/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

It is important that /opt/SUNWspro/bin is before /bin and /usr/bin
in your path, since the C compiler you need is the ansi SPARCworks
compiler, and not the old bsd cc.

Steve Chiswell