19990118: Gdvint for hybl to pres

>From: address@hidden (William Gallus)

>Steve,
>
>You helped us to correctly turn RUC grib data into gempak data.
>We would next like to use GDVINT to go from the HYBL surfaces to
>isobaric ones.
>
>Our data does come from FSL, but we've been told it is the same
>as what NCEP has.  Based on this fact, is there a way we can use
>GDVINT to turn it into isobaric data?  (I assume normally NCEP does
>this before putting it on their ftp site?).
>
>In addition, when Don visited ISU, he mentioned the Interactive Sounding
>Program.  I went to your web site, and it seemed like the stuff there
>was for HP-UX, of SunOS or Solaris.  Does this software work at all
>on SGIs?
>
>Bill

>*  Bill Gallus                               *
>*  Dept. of Geological and Atmospheric Sci.  *
>*  3025 Agronomy Hall                        *
>*  Iowa State University                     *
>*  Ames, IA 50011                            *
>*  (phone) 515-294-2270                      *
>*  (fax)   515-294-3163                      *

Bill,
To use GDVINT, you will specify gvcord=hybl/pres
You will have to have pressure grids on the hybrid levels in order to
interpolate the other parameters. Doing a "phelp gdvint" gives
several examples of how to specify the level range for
interpolating to pressure levels every 50 mb for example.

NCEP provides the RUC2 data on hybrid as well as pressure levels,
but since the native coordinate of the model isn't pressure levels
that would have to be postprocessed.

The isp1.0.3 source on our server should compile with a standartd c++
compiler, presumably you have that with your SGI. I'm not sure if Don was
refering to that, or the Java sounding/hodograph program that Steve Emmerson
is currently working on (which requires JDK 1.2 not available for SGIs yet).

Steve Chiswell