[Datastream #QQX-689346]: Level 2 data packets arriving out of sequence

Hi there,

I'm writing to let you know that several actions have been taken on our end
that may alleviate this condition.  Nothing drastic, mostly just giving a few
LDMs a restart and similar.  But I'm seeing signs from rtstats that the NEXRAD2
feed has improved.  Are your NEXRAD2 feeds looking better for you now?

While investigating, and frankly while becoming more familiar with NEXRAD2
dataflow myself, I found that these packets are not and have never been
guaranteed to be in order.  I think typically it makes sense that they would
be, but that was never assured.  As such it is the responsibility of downstream
sites to work with the data the way that it comes in, if out of order packets
are a problem for your workflow then the workflow may need to change.  The
reason why they might occasionally be out of order is our redundancy of
requesting from multiple upstream hosts; sometimes one may ship data sooner
than the other and there you go.

A while back the Python group here wrote some utilities to help manage
accepting NEXRAD2 data, that repo contains a few other things including
goes-restitch.py for GOES-R data.  The repo name is ldm-alchemy and is
available here: https://github.com/Unidata/ldm-alchemy.  If you have any
questions regarding those utilities, address@hidden would be the better inbox
to reach out to.

We will continue to monitor the IDD feeds, NEXRAD2 a little closer, and there
may be one or two more minor changes that could help improve things further.

Best,
-Mike

Ticket ID: QQX-689346
Department: Support Datastream
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.