[Datastream #VDG-353745]: Gistemp type report for ocean temperature

Hi,

re:
> Thanks, Tom, but I can't take no for an answer.

I can say is that we, Unidata Program Center/UCAR, do not have the
data you are looking for in any format, so there is not much we can do
to help you.  Our's is a small group in UCAR whose job is to facilitate
access to mostly real-time atmospheric science data for our primary
constituency,
the U.S. university Atmospheric Science community.  Even though we do make
some data available via remote server technologies that we have developed
and/or support, we do not maintain long term archives of the data that we
make available.

A quick Google (tm) search using 'ocean climate data' shows that the
best resources for ocean-related data in the U.S. is the National
Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI, formerly know as the
National Climactic Data Center).  Their website is:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/

Another excellent resource for climate data information is RealClimate,
http://www.realclimate.org/.  They maintain an up to date listing of
climate-related data resources, so they are a great go-to site for where
to find climate data.

re:
> The gap between getting to
> zero emissions by 2050 as the IPCC urges, and the EIA projections of a 25%
> increase in emissions by 2050 is a yawning one and leads me to believe that
> we are indeed headed towards a climate catastrophe that will engulf the
> world and make sustaining a global civilization difficult if not
> impossible.  My goal is to make information about climate change more
> accessible to the public because only public opinion will move
> decision-makers to take action. Climate research, therefore, cannot operate
> in an ivory tower.  We must cross the bridge between the esoterica of
> scientific research and the vital need for the public to understand what is
> happening.   The Ocean is absorbing over 90% of the heat captured by
> greenhouse gas emissions and so it is the pivotal player in climate change,
> yet there is precious little information about it available to the public.
> We need to disseminate the knowledge we gain about it in a way that is
> accessible to the public, and we must do it quickly.

I personally agree wholeheartedly with this!

re:
> Who can I talk to in
> your organization to press this point home?

UCAR is the governing body that manages NCAR, the National Center for
Atmospheric Research.  The main focus of research in NCAR is related
to the atmosphere, not the ocean, but there may be some useful resources
for your investigations in NCAR's Computational Information Systems
Laboratory (CISL).  Since we are not part of CISL, we do not provide
support for their services.

I am sorry that we can not be of more help.  We wish you the best of
luck in your investigations!

Ticket ID: VDG-353745
Department: Support Datastream