20030519: GOES-12 scanning schedule

>From: Jerrold Robaidek <address@hidden>

Hi Jerry,

re: GOES-12 scanning schedules

>This may help:
>
>http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter/rtpacific.html
>
>or
>
>http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/SATS/GOES/NINE/sched.html

Thanks.  These are for GOES-9, but the second one got me to the
appropriate web site for GOES-East scanning schedules.

The thing that bothered me was the GOES-12 data (EAST/NH, EAST/SH) is
only as frequent as every half hour.  I was under the impression that
the scanning was supposed to be done every 15 minutes, but this must
be for CONUS.

re: compositing NH/NHE with SH

>We do not do the NH, NHE, and SH as you describe.  We are creating
>global composites, but just for channels 3 and 4  (we use MODIS WV data
>at the poles.)  and at 10 km resolution, not 4km.

That is how I remembered things.

>Fred Mosher is doing something similar to what your are describing, but
>I do not know what channels he is doing it for.

I am now doing it for all imager bands.  I will be moving the code over
to unidata2 after all of the bugs have been squashed.

>We do some merging of GOES-East and GOES-West for the web in all
>channels, but you are right we remap those into mercator.

Right.

>How do your visible composites look?  I've never been happy with the
>visible composites .... the terminator is very time sensitive.

The two or three I did yesterday looked great.  Two that I have done
today look _bad_.  The main reason they look bad is the SH scan data
seems to be shifted west and southward in comparison to the NHE data
near the interface of the two.  I have looked at this pretty carefully
using both images from unidata2 and from SATEPS, and I am convinced
that the data is shifted a considerable distance.

>Also, you mentioned that you want to use your old SDI to ingest, and
>feed a similar system out at Unidata correct?

Yes, we are still planning on doing this.

>If you do this, I think you should do it differently from the way we
>are doing it.  You should write the data directly to the machine that
>will serve it, not do the relay like we are doing.

I assume you mean using NFS?  I take it to mean that you would do this
so that the data on the non-SDI box is current (no need to comment
if this assumption is correct).  I think that this is a great idea.

>We can chat about this sometime.

Sounds good.  Tomorrow or Wednesday, I will put up some GIFs (tm) of
composites as examples of the compositing and let you know where to
look.

Thanks for the input...

Tom
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
(303)497-8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support  <