20210623: Missing GFS grids this morning on CONDUIT?

Hi Anne (with various CCs),

Something that we've been meaning to bring up with you, and have already
mentioned in passing to Carissa during our discussions about holding a
virtual LDM training workshop this summer, is the need for the LDMs on the
machine(s) that create the CONDUIT datastream to be upgraded to the latest
version of the LDM.

One of the principle reasons for upgrading is to update the GRIB2 tables
that are used by 'gribinsert' to create full, meaningful Product IDs
for the CONDUIT products.  The latest LDM (a new release will be made
soon, but this comment pertains to the current release) contains GRIB2
tables that are _way_ more current than the LDM installations I think
your machines are running.

In addition, Steve Emmerson, our LDM developer, has created a repository
on GitHub for the GRIB2 tables, and added an action to 'ldmadmin' that
allows the user to download the latest GRIB2 tables to the local machine.

Why are up to date GRIB2 tables needed?

Most sites fashion the regular expressions they use in LDM pattern-action
file actions to match specific Product IDs.  If the machine(s) creating
the feed content have GRIB2 tables that are missing entries for products
that are being distributed, those products will still be sent, but they
will not have full Product IDs, and that is most likely to mean that
end-users' actions will not process those products.

We realize that it usually takes some time to schedule upgrades to
packages used in NOAA, so we are not expecting that doing the upgrade(s)
can be done quickly.  If you would like to discuss this request, we
could continue to exchange emails, or we could Meet (Google Meet)
"face to face".

Of course, all of the above assumes that your process for creating CONDUIT
products still uses the 'gribinsert' package that is distributed as part
of the LDM.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas
Unidata User Support