[CONDUIT #GBP-609047]: Change to SREF in CONDUIT

Hi Becky,

See comments inserted below.

On 7/20/2012 9:47 AM, Rebecca Cosgrove wrote:
> New Client Reply: Change to SREF in CONDUIT
>
> Hi.
> So here's my first crack at an announcement.  Let me know what you think.
>

> CONDUIT Users:
> In mid-to-late August, NCEP will be updating the Short-Range Ensemble
> System (SREF).  The full details of the upgrade are available in the TIN
> ().  Briefly, the models that make up the SREF will be changing.
> Currently the SREF is comprised of Eta, RSM, WRF NMM and WRF ARW
> members.  With the upgrade the Eta and RSM members will be removed and
> NMMB members will be added.  In addition, the horizontal resolution of
> all the members will be increased to 16km.
Should this say   ....will be available in the TIN ().  I see that it is
mentioned in the last paragraph too.

> The impact to CONDUIT will be that we will make the necessary changes to
> continue to send you the individual ensemble output.  The NMMB members
> will be added to CONDUIT.  In addition, bias-corrected ensemble
> precipitation fields will be added to CONDUIT.  At this time we do not
> plan to add the new 16km output to CONDUIT, but if there is interest in
> these products, please let us know.
>
> Please also note that, as described in the TIN, the model process id
> number in the GRIB encoding of the WRF NMM and WRF ARW products will be
> changing.  Currently all members are encoded with process number 84.
> With this upgrade, they will be 111 for the NMMB, 112 for the WRF NMM,
> and 116 for the WRF ARW.

In the last sentence, should it say "With this upgrade, "they" or
there......?

> This change was originally scheduled for August 1st, but we must delay
> that implementation due to some irregularities in the timing of the
> model runs.  A new TIN will be issued with the actual date, but we do
> not anticipate it any sooner than August 14th.

Do you want to send this notice out from your email account, or do you
want us to send it from Unidata support?   Either way works for us.  Tom
and I discussed this earlier todoooay.

Thanks so much for all of the work you put into this!  It's very well
stated!

Have a great weekend!

Linda

> On 7/18/2012 4:04 PM, Unidata CONDUIT Support wrote:
>> On 7/18/12 1:37 PM, Rebecca Cosgrove wrote:
>>> New Client Reply: Change to SREF in CONDUIT
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>> So I did work on the notice today, but in looking around, I need to make
>>> sure we're telling you the right thing.  Let me huddle with Carissa
>>> tomorrow and get back to you.
>> Fine by me.  We'd rather have the announcement correct.
>>> Carissa's working the SREF upgrade and she can definitely point you to
>>> lots of sample data.  She's also going to have to do a test of the
>>> existing mean files to make sure adding the precip doesn't mess anything up.
>> Testing is good.
>>> And in an old email you asked about moving and if it affected us. Heck
>>> yeah!!!  We're up to our eyeballs in getting all we run here running
>>> over there.  We do a lot of stuff to support OPC, HPC, CPC and also a
>>> NESDIS group and get them all the data they see in NAWIPS.  So we've
>>> been doing a lot with that, and we're in the home stretch so we're
>>> switching operational stuff to the other building starting this week.
>>> And on top of that, we all move ourselves. Justin and Carissa go on the
>>> 30th, and Wen and I follow on August 10th.  So it's a crazy time around
>>> here :)
>> Good luck with all of that!  We know what you're going through, but your
>> move is on a larger scale than what we've been through over the last
>> couple of weeks.  Once you get moved, you look around and
>> say.........now what?!
>>
>> Anyway, good luck!
>>
>> Linda
>>> More to come tomorrow.