[Staging #ROW-186516]: CONDUIT netcdf question

Hi Becky,

re:
> Question for you -- what would it take to distribute netCDF data via
> CONDUIT?

Not much, but:

- netCDF files are generally much larger than GRIB2 files with the
  same content

  Adding significant numbers of netCDF files would require a larger LDM
  queue on the toplevel machine(s) handling the data.

That being said, I think that lots of people would appreciate getting
model data already turned into netCDF files _IF_ the netCDF files are
properly formatted (i.e., CF-compliant).

re:
> I was talking with Linda and Doug today about the survey and a
> few of the things we were considering offering up to the community are
> in netCDF.  I wasn't sure how we would do that, given that all we do
> right now is GRIB.  Would we need a new utility, or would it just be
> inserting the data into the LDM queue as is?

There would be a need for _something_ to create a usable LDM/IDD Product
ID.  For netCDF-packaged products, this might be as simple as a script,
but that script would need to be created.

Question:

- would the netCDF files have the granularity of GRIB2 messages?

  This would probably be very inefficient, but it would allow for
  the creation of a simple-to-use Product ID.

Ticket ID: ROW-186516
Department: Support CONDUIT