[CONDUIT #OMX-565412]: LDM CONDUIT config

> Hello,

Hi Dan,

It looks like this slipped through the cracks :(

> I am a meteorologist working at NOAA ESRL here in Boulder.  My group
> has a need to ingest NCEP operational model data, and would like to use
> a LDM CONDUIT feed to accomplish this.

OK

> We already have a LDM server running here ingesting other data types
> from the IDD.

Who are you "feeding" from?

 The name on record for those feeds is likely David Welsh.
> I will be utilizing and configuring the same LDM server to also acquire
> the CONDUIT feed, and will be managing these data rather than David.
>
> The requested information for this new setup is as follows:
>
> Name of site:  NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory Physical Sciences
> Division
>
> LDM administrators:
>
> Dan Gottas (Meteorologist contact)
> 303-497-3130
> address@hidden
>
> Ed Warnken (IT System Administrator contact)
> 303-497-7264
> address@hidden
>
> Fully-qualified host name:  psdingest.psd.esrl.noaa.gov
>
> Desired feedtype: CONDUIT
>
> I do not have any prior experience with LDM, but am becoming more
> familiar with the basics described online at Unidata's web site.
> I would like to inquire whether Unidata can provide some CONDUIT
> configuration assistance with the ldmd.conf and pqact.conf files.

Sure :)

> Ultimately, we will be ingesting RUC, NAM, GFS, and GEMS, but
> would like to initially test everything out by first implementing
> ingestion of the high res NAM model data (NAM 218 - 12km).  We would
> like to ingest all tiles for 00 - 84 hour forecasts, but only for
> selective levels/parameters.  I have located an inventory of these here
> <http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/nam/nam.t00z.awip21800.01.grib2.shtml>
> , but I am not sure if these are up to date and compatible with the the
> CONDUIT convention.

Have you seen:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/conduit/ldm_idd/index.html

This should help you form a regular expression for the data you desire, we can
help if needed.

> Once these correct data-subset queries are correctly configured,
> we will then need to store the data in both the GEMPAK and native
> grib formats.  The former will be used by GEMPAK plotting routines
> and the latter will be used by NCL.  I have learned that there is
> decoder support within GEMPAK to do the conversion to GEM, which
> can be automatically configured in pqact.conf (instructions here
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/GEMPAK/configuration.html>).

Yes, two pqact entries will be needed:

1) a FILE command to keep native

2) a PIPE to a decoder for grib to netcdf transform

> Anyway, I am looking for confirmation or guidance on the best way to
> get started with this first test configuration for the NAM.
>
> Many thanks for your time and assistance,
>
> Dan

Apologies for the delay, was not overly verbose in case this was resolved and
just not closed, we are here for any
additional support, and we/I will assure you it will not languish!

Cheers,

Jeff
Jeff Weber
Unidata User Support