[CONDUIT #DYD-390666]: 20081022: follow-up to Unidata User's Committee CONDU IT survey

Hi Mike,

I apologize for being silent for so long.  I have been spending a bit of time
schooling myself on issues related to the CONDUIT datastream.

I have been intending to send an email to the address@hidden email list
to let folks know what is happening; your note reminds me that I need to do this
today!

re:
> It seems from the responses to my post that there was a fair amount
> of concern about removing the NAM212 grid from the CONDUIT feed. Is
> that the impression you got as well?

Absolutely yes!

> Has anything official happened or been decided on this?

Yes.  Because of the strong input in favor keeping the NAM212 grid in the
CONDUIT datastream, it was decided to not remove them.  Just so you know, this
was a joint decision by the Unidata Users Committee and the UPC.

Because there was absolutely no objection to removal of the MRF products, the
decision to remove them from CONDUIT was deemed acceptable.

Now, as to additions...

If you will recall, the top candidates for addition to CONDUIT, as determined
by responses to the survey that Bill Gallus sent in late spring/early summer,
were RTMA and SREF grids.  One of the first things I learned was that
operational
RTMA grids were added to the NOAAPort-populated NGRID IDD datastream quite some
time ago.  Since then, and based on some guidance provided by Chiz, I did took
a harder look at what is currently available in CONDUIT.  I learned/was reminded
that bias-corrected SREF members have been included in CONDUIT since the third
week of December, 2007.

As part of my CONDUIT education process, I captured the headers for all products
delivered in CONDUIT over a 4-day period at the end of October.  Using October
25
as a representative day for products, I found that there are some 47163 SREF
products delivered per day (including status files) split as follows:

type           number
--------------+---------------------------------
pgrb_biasc     37011  including 471 status files
ensprod_biasc  10152  including 60 status files
--------------+---------------------------------
Total          47163

For reference the NCEP FTP URL for SREF products is:

ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/sref/prod/

Chiz had already setup web access to the SREF grids received in CONDUIT on
motherlode.ucar.edu.
The last 72 hours of SREF grids are available using:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/conduit_reception_new.csh?/data/nccf/com/sref

Given that SREF grids are already available, the "consensus" requests for
additions to
CONDUIT has been reduced to non-operational (parallel) RTMA grids.  I will be
working
with NCEP to implement this in the coming days (after determining if these
grids will
require a modification to the LDM queue insertion routine used on the NCEP
toplevel
source for CONDUIT data).

> Thanks!

No worries.

Again, I apologize for my silence.  I am reluctant to send messages to the
community
about subjects that I am not as well versed in as I should be.

Ticket ID: DYD-390666
Department: Support CONDUIT