[CONDUIT #RGY-826441]: GFS (grib) forecast hours

Ryan,

I provided a software update for NCEP to install this morning, and the 18Z gfs
runs should have the correct forecast hour interpetation. I'm waiting to
see the 18Z gfs data come across to verify this! You should
be able to avoid having to rewrite your pqact lines.

The old tgsv32 server ran with the system clock set to UTC, so this bug in the
insertion code was never tripped. The new NCEP servers run with the clocks set
the EDT5EST time zone so the bug in code suddenly appeared this week.
The GRIB2 processing code I wrote doesn't have the bug, but the
grib1 processing code uses the wgrib package to extract the time
which is "verification time" and then the subtraction of current time to get
the forecast hour. With the verification time after the daylight savings time,
the subtraction was off by one. I fixed this so that the program runs in UTC
time now
regardless of the local time zone. Again, this bug was always in the code but
circumstances had prevented its appearance.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support