From: Linda Miller [mailto:address@hidden]
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 10:27 AM
To: Macduff, Matthew C
Cc: address@hidden; address@hidden;
address@hidden; address@hidden;
address@hidden
Subject: Re: ARM

I think the workshop was discussed during the CONDUIT meeting, but
nothing was firmed up.  We'll see if we can make this happen and we'll
keep the CONDUIT/CRAFT community apprised of the progress.  BTW, are you
on the C2 email list?  If not, be sure to subscribe at:

> 2. ARM produces data from several heavily instrumented sites.  This
> data is almost exclusively available from our archive via ftp ~2 days
> after it is produced.  I'm interested in exploring the demand for any
> of our data in more real-time.  We currently collect data hourly and
> ship it immediately to a central location (PNNL).  We have a broad
> range of instruments including radars, sondes, radiometers and more
that I don't have any understanding of.  Almost all of our
http://www.arm.gov   We
> have documentation on most of our instruments/data products there. I'm

> not personally qualified to commit to delivering any data but would
> like to gather information of potential utility and possible
mechanisms.

Unidata works in conjunction with our governing committees to make new
data sets available.  We are slowly broadening our community, and it
would be interesting to check some of your data to see how it would work
with our LDM technology to make the data more timely, and to use it with
our visualization and analysis tools.  If the data is in netCDF, it
would probably work very well with Unidata's Integrated Data
Visualization (IDV), in particular.  See:

 <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/>

Check Unidata's URL for additional information at:
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/>

Information about LDM for handling and data distribution can be found
at:

<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/>

Finally, I did want to point you toward the THREDDS project that might
be worth considering, especially for large data sets that do not rely on
real-time data distribution.  It's at:

<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/>

Please remember that Unidata's software and tools are freely available.
After you've had a chance to review the information above, and we've had
a chance to check the information provided at your site, feel free to
contact us again or we may contact you to see what the next steps are.
I've copied several people on the Unidata staff, including our Director
and the Unidata Support team, in case they want to contact you.

Thanks so much for your interest in Unidata!

Linda

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Matt Macduff
> PNNL
> 509 372 4704

Linda Miller - address@hidden
Community Services, Unidata
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research P.O. Box 3000 Boulder,
CO 80307-3000
303-497-8646 fax: 303-497-8690