20060124: CONDUIT data stream

Jennie,

I think you are confusing a graphic of grid #104 (for NAM) with
grid #4 which is a global .5x.5 degree lat/lon grid.

The GRID #4 is the same lat/lon projection as GRID #3, just with
row/columns at .5 degree rather than 1 degree (eg 4x as many points).
GRIB2 is much better in regard to file size for the larger grid
size. In fact, NCEP will be transitioning all of its data to
GRIB2, except that which they have to provide to the GTS under WMO
agreements.

NCEP provides libraries to decode GRIB2 (as well as convert GRIB2 to GRIB1).
See: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/codes/GRIB2/

Currently, we are sending the same GFS data at 2 resolutions
(grid #3 and grid #4) for F000-F084. That consumes a lot of user bandwidth.
Now that NCEP is running the GFS model at T384 through 180 hours, they will
be able to produce the top resolution grid #4 through 180 hours, so
CONDUIT will want to transmit that when available. At that time, the complete
0-180 GFS data set will be redundant on grid 3 so it makes sense to remove
that and use the bandwith for other data sets. The GRIB2 .5 degree data set
will
have been available for over a year and a half, giving users adequate time to
transition legacy code to the higher resolution.

If you don't have the resources to transition to grid #4, or convert the GRIB2
to GRIB1 using the NCEP program mentioned above, you should also be aware that
NCEP has introduced additional levels/parameters etc to the GFS output
(both GRID #3 and GRID #4), so you should ensure that legacy applications you
might
be using with GFS grid #3 are able to handle those newer parametere/levels
(or at least not die during inopportune moments)!

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support