RE: Late 1 degree GFS and late eta's on CONDUIT

CONDUIT data users,
We are actively working on a solution to increase the throughput of data
products and decrease the queueing time of these products from the NWS
file server to the LDM queue.

On January 5th, the product insertion for the CONDUIT data stream was
changed to allow product insertion in parallel. This method increased
the aggregate throughput from a maximum of 1.8GB per hour, to
2.5 to 2.7 GB per hour at the 4 peak times. However, a number of users
stated that this method was troublesome for their processing of forecast
hour products since while the aggregate data volume was increased, the
arrival time of specific forecast times was intermixed and the earliest
forecast times were not guaranteed to complete prior to other times.

Several alternatives were tried to maintain product order while
preserving increased throughput, but products were lost in queueing
order, so this process was halted as soon as these consequences were
observed. On Thursday morning, the CONDUIT insertion queue was restored
to the synchronus remote method that existed at the beginning of
December when the 0.5 degree GFS files were added. This return was
seemingly the most preferable prior to a holiday weekend, from input to
the conduit mail list so as to not have "missing products" while an
improvement in timeliness was being sought. The queueing backlog for
this was known to exceed an hour and a half.

The largest backlog of queuing occurs when the twice daily ensembles are
posting at the time that the 4x per day GFS and ETA are posting, as
well as the hourly RUC. This begins be delaying the posting the 12Z GFS
and 18Z NAM and continues through the peak posting when grids are
posting to the file server at the rate several models and multiple grids
per minute.

Early next week a change will be made to isolate the underlying file
system from product insertion which will hopefully improve timeliness.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support