[AWIPS #XBI-122690]: Procedures and color tables all gone

Hi Carrie,

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to restore your procedures and colormaps
this time.
You will have to recreate them to get them to appear again with this version of
AWIPS.

However, going forward, there is a way for you to save things locally, in case
we're
not able to restore them after an AWIPS upgrade.  I must state, though, that
there is
no guarantee procedures/colormaps/etc saved from one version of AWIPS, and then
uploaded
into a different version of AWIPS, will work properly.

But, if you would like to save files locally, you can do that as added
insurance for a
backup.  I am going to write and publish a blog post about this, with
screenshots, that
might make more sense, but I wanted to let you know the steps sooner rather
than later.

To save your files locally:
1. Once you have created your configuration in CAVE D2D (whether it be a
colormap or a
procedure, or something else), open the "Localization" Perspective from the
CAVE menu >
Perspective > Localization.
2. Find the file you're looking for using the file browser on the left.  As a
tip,
color maps are found under the "CAVE" option, and procedures are found under
the "D2D"
option.
3. Expand the entry and right click on the USER option > Open with > System
Editor.
Here you might have a to choose a text editor that's on your machine, to be
able to open
it.
4. Now save the file in another location, so that you have a local copy.

Now you have the files saved locally.  If your settings/configurations ever
disappear in the
future, you can do the following to bring them back:
1. Open the localization perspective and go to the relevant folder (CAVE >
Color Maps, for
example)
2. Right click on that folder and select Import File...
3. Use the file dialog to select the file you saved locally.

And now the color map will be back in AWIPS, and will save to our EDEX, so you
don't need to
do that again in the future.  But, just remember, with an upgrade in EDEX
versions, there is
a possibility that these old files may not work.

We will put out a blog with these steps and some screenshots to help clarify.
Please join
our mailing list, awips2-users, if you're not already on it.  We use the
mailing list to notify
our users of new blog posts and important AWIPS updates or statuses (EDEX
outage, ect).

Thanks.
--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
NSF Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: XBI-122690
Department: Support AWIPS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.