[AWIPS #RDH-492687]: EDEX Outage

Hi there,

> Would you perhaps have a resource for a back-up edex server ?

The only other option I am aware of is a commercial offering from Allison House
(https://www.allisonhouse.com/),
however I think I heard they may have discontinued their EDEX service recently?
You'd have to reach out to them
to get more information.

Also, I received your other response, but our email service has been having
issues, so I'll respond on this thread.

> Thank you for your reply.  The application did require caveData to be deleted
> before new products were received.
>
> This data outage occurred over a weekend when a very significant winter storm
> impacted the western US and resulted
> in reduced operational capabilities from this office. I received no outage
> notification or other communication from
> the Unidata AWIPS team until this morning.  Given that this data outage
> resulted in a significant impacts, can the
> AWIPS/CAVE team refer me to an entity that might be able to provide an
> alternative EDEX server feed during times
> when the primary sever is down ?

I'm sorry the outage unfortunately corresponded with extreme weather and
impacted your workflow.  Unfortunately our
AWIPS services are non-operational, including our production EDEX.  Our staff
typically do not work weekends, although
we do at times try to respond if we're available.  This weekend our AWIPS team
was not available and addressed the
issue as soon as we could this morning.

Allison House was the only other (paid) option I was aware of. An additional
option is to run your own EDEX locally
to use as your operational or backup server to ours.

Thanks.

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
NSF Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: RDH-492687
Department: Support AWIPS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.