[AWIPS #HRM-616770]: Adding shapefiles to AWIPS

Hi there,

> Yes, I am importing a shapefile using the menu option for GIS data. The
> shapefile will display as a Product
> set for a specific amount of time.
>
> I was creating the shapefiles (polygons) in ArcGIS online but when I would
> bring them into AWIPS they would
> load but wouldn't display anything. I was finally today able to reproject the
> shapefile to WGS 1984 coordinate
> system and for some reason this worked and the shapefiles showed up. So I
> think I fixed the issue. I guess the
> project that ArcGIS and ArcPro starts with isn't compatible with AWIPS.
>
> I was curious if AWIPS required a specific coordinate system in order to
> display shapefiles.
>
> Let me know if you need more clarification.

So, after the reprojection and then importing into CAVE, it seems to be
displaying properly?

Prior to the reprojection did the saved shape output have a .prj file?  I'm
wondering if maybe there was no
projection information originally, and Arc is able to assume a default which
works, but CAVE wasn't able to
make that same assumption.  And after you did the reprojection, now it was
explicitly stated in the shape file
data?

Does my assumption make sense?

To my understanding CAVE should be able to handle many different projection
types, but I believe it needs to
be specified, I don't think it can make a default assumption.  Do you know what
the original projection was?

Thanks.
--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
NSF Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: HRM-616770
Department: Support AWIPS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.