[AWIPS #AFG-400113]: CAVE AWIPS 2-panel display

Hi there,

> I'm using CAVE AWIPS in a NWS installation. I have the option for single
> panel, 2-panel or
> 4/9/16-panels displays.
>
> When switching to a 2-panel display the divider between the two panels is
> horizontal giving
> me an unuseful thin upper/lower view of the data. I'd prefer to have the
> divider in a 2-panel
> view be horizontal and see the data side-by-side.
>
> I see 2-panel displays in the CAVE User Manual/D2D Perspective with this
> side-by-side layout
> but I can't find a way to get my workstation to display two panels with a
> vertical separator
> bar.
>
> Please advise me how to switch that.

Unfortunately, we do not support the NWS versions/installations of AWIPS.
Also, unfortunately,
the change from horizontal (as you see it) to vertical (as we support it) is
made in the source
code, not a configuration file you would have access to.

I assume the User Manual you are referring to is ours?:
https://unidata.github.io/awips2/cave/d2d-perspective/#toggle-2-or-4-panel-layout

So, to answer your question, the only way (that I know of currently) for you to
get the side-by-
side layout for 2-panel is to download, install, and run our (NSF Unidata's)
version of CAVE and
user our public EDEX server.

We have instructions for downloading and running CAVE on our website, and we
support CentOS7,
Windows, MacOS, and a Virtual Machine for operating systems:
https://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/

Please let us know if that's helpful.
Thanks.
--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
NSF Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: AFG-400113
Department: Support AWIPS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.