[AWIPS #QKV-178239]: Centos 7 and AWIPSII

Hi there,

> My I.T. department is asking me when I will stop using Centos 7. I know
> Centos 7 is
> not EOL until June 30, 2024, but has any decision been made on what the next
> OS will
> be used for AWIPSII? I'd like to be able to tell them what I will be moving
> to.

Thanks for your great question.  We are planning on putting out a production
release of
version 20 of AWIPS before the end of the year (still dependent on RHEL7), and
then
immediately transitioning to working on a release of version 24, which is based
on
RHEL8 (Redhat Enterprise Linux).  We have not yet chosen the exact open-source
version
of RHEL8 that we'll use, but we have been looking at using Rocky8.  I think
that will
likely be the next OS we support for our EDEX.

I also want to make it known, if you're using CAVE, we do support installations
for both
Windows and MacOS outside of CentOS7, if that is an option for you?

Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer, but I hope it is somewhat helpful.
Thanks.

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: QKV-178239
Department: Support AWIPS