[AWIPS #RXW-626267]: AWIPS Cave General Questions

> Hello! I've been getting more experienced with AWIPS, however I would like
> to ask three questions that I am unsure of and have not found in the manual.
>
> 1. *Ocean/Great Lakes Topography - *I'm not sure how I can set the
> background color of the map white and also have the ocean and any water
> around the U.S blue or a different color.
> 2. *Thermodynamic Line Colors - *On some of the MDs (using CAPE for an
> example), is it possible to change the line color for an increased value?
> For instance, if CAPE is around 1000 j/kg in one section, then 2000 j/kg in
> another, is it possible to change the color for a higher value?
> 3. *Flattening the map angle - *Since I tend to use New England a lot, is
> it possible to change the angle so New England doesn't have a curved angle,
> rather it is flat?
>
> Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. What version of AWIPS CAVE are you running and
on what OS?

1. You can change the default background color to white, but can't distinguish
between land and water.

2. If you are using CAVE version 20.* you can edit the contours. We don't have
instructions written up on this yet, but there are some public instructions
here: https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/oclo/custom-contouring

3. You can change the projection of your map, or load different default maps
(which have different projections)

http://unidata.github.io/awips2/cave/maps-views-projections/#new-projection
Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: RXW-626267
Department: Support AWIPS