[AWIPS #DPF-492188]: new AWIPS 20.3.2-0.3 beta Cave release - RGB imagery on Mac

Hi there,

> I'm excited to try out the new v20 beta Cave release.

> As a Macbook Pro user, I was wondering if this release addresses the RGB
> imagery
> on Mac display limitation? If not, what would you suggest as a workaround?

At this time, all versions of CAVE will not render RGB imagery on the Mac.
This is
something that will most likely never be supported by Raytheon (the main
developer
of AWIPS), but we at Unidata are very aware of this problem and would like to
try
and improve it at some time in the future.  Unfortunately, as of right now,
this beta
does not support RGB products on the Mac.

> Should I consider an install on a different platform?

If this is an option for you, absolutely!  The intended Operating System for
AWIPS
is Redhat Linux (RHEL).  Redhat is a paid OS, but CentOS7 is the free version
of a
similar/supported Operating System.  In future releases of AWIPS, we'll be
moving
forward to RHEL8, which will most likely use RockyOS (since CentOS8 is no
longer
supported).

If you don't have access to a CentOS machine, then our Windows installer is
fairly
capable (and can render RGB products), so that might be a viable alternative
for
you as well.

Please let me know if any of that is helpful.
Thanks!

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: DPF-492188
Department: Support AWIPS