[AWIPS #QWS-822250]: GFS Model Data & GOES 17 Hot Spots ?

Hi Pete,

>1) I am no longer able to display GFS .25” global data in AWIPS CAVE 18.1.1. I
>assume this is as a result of the updated GFS dataset. Is there a process >to
>update to this data ?

Correct, with the recent upgrades to GFS we had to switch from .25 degree GFS
global data to 1 degree. If you close CAVE, remove caveData, and re-open CAVE
the menu should be updated to say 1.0 degree. You can also look at the full
suite of GFS 1 degree using the volume browser.
(http://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/common-problems/#general-troubleshooting)

>2) GOES 17 “hotspot” data is very useful in identifying new wildfires or rapid
>wildfire growth. I note they are listed under GOES 17 “Derived Products”, >but
>with no data available. Is there a commercial or noncommercial EDEX source for
>this kind of GOES data ?

Unfortunately, none of the GOES-17 derived products are available via NOAAPort
at this time, so if we don't have the data we can't process it. Sorry.

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive: https://forms.gle/tKG5SY9YJw4vBRVXA

Ticket ID: QWS-822250
Department: Support AWIPS