Re: [visad] The results of your email commands

Hi,

I agree with Bill that you should use DelaunayWatson where appropriate. In
general, for less than a few thousand points in 2D, the Watson algorithm
will perform more efficiently than Clarkson, because Clarkson has more
structural overhead. However, Watson is O(n^2) and supports only 2D, whereas
Clarkson is O(n log n) and supports higher dimensional data.

Unfortunately, both algorithms have limitations. Both can have problems with
colinear and/or colocated points. I have seen Watson generate overlapping
triangles on rare occasion. And the Clarkson algorithm truncates all values
to integers during computation, exascerbating the colinearity issue.

To work around these issues, we have provided two methods in visad.Delaunay,
scale and perturb. The scale method scales data by a given multiplier, which
is useful if you have values clumped within 1.0f of one another and wish to
use the Clarkson algorithm. (Clarkson will fail horribly with such data
unless scaled so that data points are distinct as integers). The perturb
method randomly permutes each sample up to a given epsilon, to help "shake
up" colinear and colocated points.

In your example, if I add the call:
  Delaunay.scale(samples, 2, false);
before constructing the DelaunayClarkson object, then the triangulation
finishes without exception.

There was talk a while back of integrating the TRIANGLE package (
http://people.sc.fsu.edu/~burkardt/c_src/triangle/triangle.html) into VisAD
to improve our triangulation logic, but unfortunately it is not a priority
for us right now.

-Curtis