Re: [visad] memory leak in visad

 Hi Stuart,

The uniqueness of DisplayRealType names and ScalarType
names is because these classes are often accessed by name,
and multiple instances with the same name may have different
properties. This could cause trouble for applications.

I wrote the DisplayRealTypeVector logic, I think before Java
included WeakMapValue. I also think Steve Emmerson
probably fixed the logic in ScalarType to use WeakMapValue.
Neither Steve nor I currently work on VisAD, but if Steve is
subscribed to this list and wants to make this change that would
be great. Or if anyone else wants to do it and knows what they're
doing, that would be great too. Perhaps in cooperation with
Stuart.

One point is that every DisplayRealType is also a ScalarType
and hence the uniqueness enforcement in ScalarType should
serve for DisplayRealType. Why didn't I realize that 12 years
ago when I was writing this code? Or is there some mysterious
reason to have this seemingly redundant uniqueness test?

Another point is that DisplayRealType instances don't require
much memory, so is this a serious memory leak?