Initial 3D transform

Hi,

I've noticed in both my own charts and those created by the tutorial
demos, the chart first appears lying on its side with the top facing
the screen. I then need to use the mouse to rotate it along the x-axis
so that it matches the pictures shown in the tutorial. Is there anyway
to get the initial placement of the chart to be correct?

I tried altering the transform but this doesn't seem to be respected
and when it is any mouse movement overrides any changes I've made.

thanks,

Nick