Re: get Graphics instance

Hi Celine,

Is it possible to get an instance of the current Graphics to be able to draw
String instead of using ScalarMap and References. I'd like to to the same
thing as the drawCursorStringVector methid from DisplayRendererJ2D.

Sorry for the delay in my response; I have been traveling these past few days.

It should be possible to get a handle on a Java2D display's Graphics2D
somehow, though I haven't explored it. For Java3D displays, however,
that's not how things work.

However, in VisBio, I use a technique to display text to a Display
without using a screen locked renderer or other method involving
ScalarMaps and DataReferences. Essentially, you can do it with
DataRenderer's setException method. Here is a boiled down version:

   DisplayImpl d = ...; // VisAD display
   DataRenderer rend = ...; // linked data renderer
   String[] messages = ...; // list of messages

   // set exception messages
   rend.clearExceptions();
   for (int i=0; i<messages.length; i++) {
     rend.addException(new VisADException(messages[i]));
   }

   // force redraw of exception messages
   // BE SURE TO DO THIS IN AWT EVENT THREAD
   DisplayRenderer dr = d.getDisplayRenderer();
   if (dr instanceof DisplayRendererJ2D) {
     ((DisplayRendererJ2D) dr).getCanvas().repaint();
   }
   else { // renderer instanceof DisplayRendererJ3D
     DisplayRendererJ3D dr3d = (DisplayRendererJ3D) dr;
     dr3d.getCanvas().renderField(0);
   }

-Curtis

Is it possible to get an instance of the current Graphics to be able to draw
String instead of using ScalarMap and References. I'd like to to the same
thing as the drawCursorStringVector methid from DisplayRendererJ2D.

Cheers,

Celine Gestas