Cell-centered data

I have a simple question concerning GriddedSets.  If I initialize a
Gridded2DSet using coordinates of cell vertices, is there a way to
setSamples with data from the cell centers?  i.e. is VisAD capable of
filling in the values enclosed by the vertices?  Right now I average the
values from neighboring cells and setSamples of the vertices, but this
degrades the quality of discontinuous solutions.

Thanks,
Mike