Re: DataImpl Arithmetic

Not possible, or at least very impractical. The 'types'
that Kevin and I are discussing are VisAD MathTypes and
there are an infinite number of them that may be
generated by applications dynamically at run time. When
an application opens a file that operation may return
any of those MathTypes, and other operations can generate
arbitrarily complex MathTypes.

Catching MathType mismatch errors at compile time would
limit the compiled code to a finite set of MathTypes.

VisAD does use interfaces extensively. Data, Display,
Field, Cell and DataReferences are a few examples.

Bill