Re: Muting the colors of a color table

Thanks, Bill and Curtis for the suggestions.

Bill Hibbard wrote:

You could pull the RGB colors out of your ColorControl
or ColorAlphaControl, pass them through the fromReference()
method of an HSVCoordinateSystem (transforms RGB to HSV),
decrease the saturation of each color, then pass them back
through the toReference() method of the HSVCoordinateSystem
and put the resulting RGB values back into your Color*Control.

Thanks for this tip.  I'll keep it in mind for the future.

You can run 'java HSVDisplay' in the visad/examples directory
to get a feel for HSV color coordinates.

You'll have to experiment to determine whether decreasing
saturation gives the desired result, or one of the methods
that Curtis suggested.

To get the desired effect, multiplying the color table values by
some number less than 1 (e.g. .5) seems to give the us what
we want for now.  I'll play with the other suggestions as
time permits.

BTW, Curtis, VisBio has really matured since the last time
I ran it and looks very crisp. Great job!

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm
        "Time makes everyone interesting, even YOU!"