Re: VisAD and transparency

Sorting transparent polygons is a very hard problem,
especially for complex and unpredictable shapes like
iso-surfaces. And note the sort order must change as
the user interactively rotates in 3-D. In Vis5D we
got around this problem by using screen-door
transparency, but the last time (a long time ago) I
tried it in Java3D it didn't work right.

I think transparency is over-rated. 3-D images are
ambiguous enough and using transparency just adds to
that ambiguity.