Re: offscreen image building, general issues

Hi Stuart,

I doubt that VisAD's Thread model is the source of your
performance problems. Jeff McWhirter and Don Murray of
Unidata have been doing great work on profiling and
improving VisAD performance, and as far as I know they
have never found performance problems related to the
Thread model.

One thing that is slow is starting up a new VisAD
application, which requires loading lots of classes.
Ditto for starting any application that uses Java3D.
Displaying large data objects can be slow, as they
require lots more memory for the logic that transforms
them into graphics.

I have no experience with Servlets, so perhaps some
other developers can give you better advice. You might
try some profiling on your application.

As to your specific questions:

You can learn about the VisAD architecture in the
Developer's Guide, and the display architecture in
the DataRenderer tutorial. Also in other tutorials.
For very general overviews, see the on-line copies of
various magazine articles.

Building a 'VisAD lite' library would be an enormous
task, if it supports the data and display models. You
won't really save yourself much work by dropping UI,
remote references, and threading.

VisAD does make extensive use of Swing support for
asynchronous invocation of Runnables, but not via the
EventQueue class. See visad.util.Util.invoke() (and
others). VisAD creates lots of Threads because it
enables users to create very complex applications with
lots of displays and user interface events. We gave the
system its own Thread pool because early on we weren't
sure if every Java implementation would include a
Thread pool (we started the Java VisAD design in January
1996, when JDK 1.0 was just coming out of beta).

And as to "what is the purpose of the jpeg encoder loop
in DisplayRendererJ2D.getImage?", you may have noticed
the comment in that code:

  // this is a total hack; works for reasons not understood

The system allows you to define and use your own extension
of the DisplayRendererJ2D class, where you can experiment
with different implementations of getImage(). Good luck.

Bill