Re: Problem with off-screen render

Thanks, Ugo. I was not aware that you could specify a headless environment that way. I think this is the right way to go, because ultimately, I want to create images
using VisAD within a servlet, and servlets are headless.

I added -Djava.awt.headless=true to the invocation of the java VM
when I ran my test program.
I now get a InitializerException thrown from DisplayImplJ3D.initialize() because
VisADConfig.makeConfig calls getDefaultScreenDevice() which throws
a java.awt.HeadlessException.
I'm thinking that:
(a) if I'm creating an offscreen DisplayImplJ3D, it should not be asking for a default screen device.
or (b) DisplayImplJ3D.initialize() should gracefully handle a headless case.

Lak

Ugo Taddei wrote:

Hello listeners,

I'm not sure if this will help, but here we go:

The java.awt.headless property (since JDK 1.4.2) can perhaps be used. I quote:

Q: "...I find that when I run my application on Solaris or Linux it needs an Xserver.(...)"

A: "There are two possible solutions. For releases prior to 1.4 you can provide a "pseudo X-server" to emulate a display environment One of these X-server emulators is Xvfb, available for download at www.x.org.

The preferred solution for release 1.4 and later is to use the new headless AWT toolkit <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/awt/AWTChanges.html#headless>. This new feature allows you to use the J2SE API in a server-side Java application without requiring you to have a GUI environment.

To specify the headless environment when using Sun Microsystem's reference implementation, run your application with this property:

-Djava.awt.headless=true
[http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/2D/forDevelopers/java2dfaq.html]

Never did this with VisAD, but it might work. Well, it's a nice thing to know anyway.

Cheers,

Ugo

Valliappa Lakshmanan wrote:

If I create a JFrame and make it visible, then the off-screen
render works, i.e. if I add these two lines before the getImage(true) call:
   new javax.swing.JFrame().setVisible(true);
then, the program runs to completion.

Does VisAD *require* a visible component
in order to do an off-screen render?

Lak