Re: some questions on modifying mouse event handling

  • To: Harry Hochheiser <hsh@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: some questions on modifying mouse event handling
  • From: Bill Hibbard <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:35:07 -0600 (CST)
Hi Harry,

We're always happy to help folks who dig into
things like you are.

> So, I created a new file MouseOverHelper, which is a subclass of
> MouseHelper, contaiing the _exact_same_  code as MouseHelper. I then
> created a subclass of MouseBehavior to use this new mouse helper,
> installed it in my renderer, and it works great.
>
> but, as I said, it's more than a bit of a hack.
>
> so, my first question is this: is there a cleaner way to do this?

Sounds like you're on a good track.

> My second question: what about modifying MouseHelper to make it more
> easily subclassed? I can imagine abstracting out some of the bits in
> processEvents to make them easily subclassable. Alternatively, the
> "private" members in MouseHelper could be changed to protected. I'd be
> glad to try to sketch up such a revised version if it would be helpful.

That would be great. If you want to send me a modified
version of MouseHelper, whose only modifications are to
change private and package (i.e., no access modifier)
variables and methods to protected, I will put it into
the system. If you want to change all non-public variables
and methods to protected, that's OK.