Re: tabbed panes

Hi Adele,

Have a look at this web page, in particular *"5. How do I use Canvas3D's in JTabbedPane?*" at http://www.j3d.org/faq/swing.html.

I have just added the changes to DisplayPanelJ3D and made a small change to your test program, which fixes the TabbedPane problem.
The change to DisplayPanelJ3D is the same as outlined on the j3d web page.
The change to your test is that HeatPlot.getPanel() returns display.getComponent() instead of a JPanel with the display.getComponent() added to it.

To test for yourself make the following directories under your test program directory

visad_mods\visad\java3d\DisplayPanelJ3D.java

and run the following

set classpath=.;visad_mods\;visad.jar;
javac visad_mods\visad\java3d\DisplayPanelJ3D.java
java test

from the directory you have test.java

It works on my computer. If you have any problems let me know.

Good luck.
Luke.

---
Luke Matthews
Bureau of Meteorology, Australia
l.matthews *AT* bom.gov.au

Curtis Rueden wrote:

Hi Adele,

I am not certain what is causing the tabbed pane to behave strangely. I
wonder whether Java3D in general has issues with JTabbedPane, or just VisAD.

In any case, here is an ugly hack that solves your problem for now:

   public void run() {
     for (int i=tabbedPane.getTabCount()-1; i>=0; i--) {
       tabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(i);
       tabbedPane.validate();
     }
   }
 });

Put this code *after* frame.setVisible(true). You'll also need to make the
tabbedPane declaration final.

As for the issue with data extending beyond the bounding box, you can clip
that away. The following code attached to your Heatplot displays will clip
the data to inside the bounding box only:

 DisplayRendererJ3D dr = (DisplayRendererJ3D) display.getDisplayRenderer();
 dr.setClip(0, true,  1.0f,  0.0f,  0.0f, -1.01f);  // X_POS face
 dr.setClip(1, true, -1.0f,  0.0f,  0.0f, -1.01f);  // X_NEG face
 dr.setClip(2, true,  0.0f,  1.0f,  0.0f, -1.01f);  // Y_POS face
 dr.setClip(3, true,  0.0f, -1.0f,  0.0f, -1.01f);  // Y_NEG face
 dr.setClip(4, true,  0.0f,  0.0f,  1.0f, -1.01f);  // Z_POS face
 dr.setClip(5, true,  0.0f,  0.0f, -1.0f, -1.01f);  // Z_NEG face

Hope that helps.
-Curtis