Re: setting constant map properties

Jim-

Jim Cookas wrote:

Thank you both for your help.  I now have widget control over line
properties nearly functional.  I am creating an instance of LineDrawing
(derived from DisplayableData) for each line that is added to the plot and
then store that instance in a Vector for later use.  However, I am having a
small problem.  Consider this scenario:

1) Add a line to the plot.  Let's call this Data #1. 2) Add another line to
the plot.  Let's call this Data #2.  Data #1 is rendered above Data #2. 3)
Increase the width of Data #2 (via a SpinButton).  Each increase calls
LineDrawing.setLineWidth() for Data #2 from my listener.  Data #2 remains
being rendered beneath Data #1. 4) Increase the width of Data #1 (via a
SpinButton).  Each increase calls LineDrawing.setLineWidth() for Data #1
from my listener.  Data #2 is now rendered above Data #1!

I am not a big fan of this behavior because it can drastically change the
look of the plot.  Data #1 should always be on top, followed by Data #2,
Data #3, etc.  It appears to be a result of removing a reference and then
re-adding it.  Is there any way around this?  Perhaps I don't quite
understand the listeners in DisplayableData.

Any help would, again, be greatly appreciated!

Just to clarify a little on Bill's response. The "layering"
of the data depends on the order in which the DataReferences
are added. When you change the ConstantMaps, the DataReference
is removed and re-added. This changes the ordering (not
sure quite how, since I would think that Data 2 would still be
second in line). As Bill says, the only way around this is
to keep the ordering of the displays the same and remove all
references and add them all back in in the same order.

I'll poke around in DisplayMaster when I get a chance to see
how the ordering is changing. I won't get to it until later
in the week at the earliest. If you have the time, you could
add some print statements to the rebuildDisplay method to
see what ordering is happening to the DataReferences.

(just to clarify for others on the list, DisplayableData
and DisplayMaster are part of the ucar.visad.display package
in the Integrated Data Viewer and are not part of core VisAD).

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm
"There's someone in my head, but it's not me"    Roger Waters