Re: NullPointerException in ShadowScalarType.java

  • To: Jim Koutsovasilis <jimk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: NullPointerException in ShadowScalarType.java
  • From: Bill Hibbard <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:31:54 -0500 (CDT)
Hi Jim,

This is a real mystery. Line 92 of ShadowScalarType.java is:

  ValueIndices[map.getValueIndex()]++;

The previous line is:

  DisplayIndices[map.getDisplayScalarIndex()]++;

so map cannot be null. It has to be ValueIndices, but that
array is constructed in the ShadowType constructor (super
of ShadowScalarType). Furthermore, ValueIndices is never set
to null in either ShadowType or ShadowScalarType. If your
application calls addRreference() before any ScalarMaps are
added, then the ValueIndices array might be constructed with
length = 0. But in that case there would be no ScalarMaps
and line 92 of ShadowScalarType.java should never get
executed.

Please let me know if you get more evidence.