Re: Data not rendering as IsoContour

Hi Russell,

If you are willing, you may be able to diagnose this problem
yourself. First, make sure you are using the latest source
from the VisAD ftp server. You'll want to run from compiled
source, so you can insert print statements. The focus should
be the makeContour() method of visad/ShadowType.java. At about
the 83rd line of this method there is a line:

  if (bvalues[0]) {

Insert a print of bvalues[0] before this - it should be true.
If it's false, then you want to focus on visad/ContourControl.java
and why mainContours (the source of bvalues[0]) is false, by
inserting calls to DisplayImpl.printStack("your message here")
at the various places where mainContours gets set (stack dumps
are useful for understanding the circumstances under which
bvalues[0] is being set).

If bvalues[0] is true then, back in ShadowType.makeContour(),
you'll want to make sure spatialManifoldDimension == 3 (so it
will try to make an iso-suface) and that fvalues[0] (the level
for the isosurface) has a reasonable value. Print fvalues[0]
before:

  if (fvalues[0] == fvalues[0]) {

at about the 101st line of makeContour(). If fvalues[0] has
an unreasonable value (NaN, or the minimum value of the Field
are likely unreasonable values), then insert calls to
DisplayImpl.printStack("your message here") at the various
places where surfaceValue is set in visad/ContourControl.java

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,
Bill