doing picking, and using a custom data renderer

Somehow it always seems like I'm trying to do something one step beyond
what I can find in the documentation :-)

I have successfully implemented picking in my 3D displays, and I've also
successfully turned off shading by writing a custom data renderer. Thanks
to all for help in getting those working. What I want to do now is both at
the same time, but I'm not sure how to go about it. For the picking I do
something like

       final PickManipulationRendererJ3D pmr = new
PickManipulationRendererJ3D();
       theDisplay.addReferences(pmr,theFlatFieldRef);
       CellImpl cell = new CellImpl() {
       public void doAction() throws VisADException, RemoteException {
             do something using pmr....
           }
      };
      cell.addReference(theFlatFieldRef);

While for my flat shading I do something along the lines of
       theDisplay.addReferences(new UnshadedRendererJ3D(),theFlatFieldRef);

However, how do I do both at the same time, since it seems that I can have
only one Renderer associated with theDisplay (is this correct?)

Donna L. Gresh, Ph.D.
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
(914) 945-2472
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/g/donnagresh