Using visad logarithm

hi all:

  i have a display of  spikes which are all clustered to some area in the
display box and i want to use the
log scale to spread it out. so it can cover most part of the grid. now the
useage is what i might need a little help with, like this is what i
 have:

 i have a math type like: (mass,pi)->ratio

     RealType mass = RealType.getRealType("mass");
     RealType pi = RealType.getRealType("pi");
     RealType ratio = RealType.getRealType("ratio");
     RealTupleType cartesian = new RealTupleType(mass, pi);

 FunctionType Ftype = new FunctionType(cartesian, ratio);

  i want my x-axis to be mass and y-axis to be pi and z-axis to be ratio.
 i dont want to take the log on the z-axis(ratio).

 i am not sure if the above function type is the same as

 FunctionType Ftype = new FunctionType((mass,pi), ratio);

 at what point should i take the logs on the mass and pi ?
 and how  will it fit with the data reference and the display object.

 i will be glad if you can show me some code snippets.

 thanks in advance:

 Isaac