setTextureEnable(false) function

I hope I'm just not missing something stupid... I did look in the archives
but didn't find the answer to this question.

I have an Irregular2DSet and an Irregular3DSet. They have the same x and y
values, but in the 3D case I also have z to represent height. The triangles
connecting the vertices are the same in each case. I map another value to
rgb color. In the case of the 3D display, the colors are smoothly
interpolated (which is what I want) *whether or not* I do a
"setTextureEnable(false)". In the case of the 2D display, the colors are
"pixelated" (each triangle has a constant color), again, whether or not I
do a "setTextureEnable(false)". Can anyone help me get the 2D display to
look as smooth as the 3D display does?

Here's a picture if that helps:
(See attached file: surfaces.jpg)
Thanks