using Jython 'quick graphs' with non-VisAD data

I have added a little code to each of the 'quick graphs' in the Python graph.py module that will support the direct use of non-VisAD data objects. For example, you can now do:

graph.lineplot((1,2,3,4,3,2,1), color='green')

or

graph.image( ((1,2,3),(3,4,2),(4,3,2)))

These changes were also added to the scatter() and histogram() methods, and were accomplished by seeing if the input 'data' is a PyList or PyTuple -- if it is, then the 'field()' method is called to create a VisAD Data object suitable for rendering.

This should be in the next VisAD release, although you can pick up an early copy at:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~tomw/visadtutor/graph.py

If you're using Python, I might also mention that I'm just about finished with a refactoring of the subs.py to correct a problem for people with multiple displays who wanted to use shapes, and to create a more extensible environment. The refactoring will be mostly backward compatible with the current 'static' methods approach, but will also allow OO-oriented programmers the ability to use most of the 'display' methods as instance methods. For example:

disp = makeDisplay(maps)
disp.drawString("This is my string",(100,100))

tom

--
Tom Whittaker (tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
University of Wisconsin-Madison