Re: questions about units

Bill/m huang-

Just one clarification

Bill Hibbard wrote:

Or they can use the visad.data.netcdf.units.Parser.parse()
method described in the "Using Units" section of Tom's Data
Model Tutorial, to create Units from text string
representations.

visad.data.netcdf.units.Parser was deprecated.  You should
use visad.data.units.Parser instead.

Otherwise, I think Bill summed it up nicely. I never worry
about BaseUnit, DerivedUnit, etc.   I just deal with the
Unit superclass which has the methods I need.

If you have real concerns and design ideas for units,
you should check out JSR 108 (javax.units):

http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=108

which is working on a Java extension for handling units.

I think Steve's Units design does an excellent job of
enabling applications to express and manipulate the
units of their numerical quantities.

I agree and the javax.units package should build on this
success.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm