is there a simple way to create a surface from set of 3D points?

I am just getting started using VisAD and what I would like to do is to
create a surface representation (triangles) of a set of *3D* points. Is
there a straightforward way to do this? It seems that the Delaunay methods
are going to want to create a tetrahedralization for me instead. I expect
my 3D points to define a gently sloping surface in 3D (something like a
topographic landscape). Are there any examples of doing this?

Thanks for any help
Donna

Donna L. Gresh, Ph.D.
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center