Re: detecting which dataRef the mouse is over

Paul-

Unfortunately, as Bill says, VisAD is hardwired so that mouse
manipulation is
done only with the right mouse button and the PickManipulationRenderer
only works in 3D displays.   However, you can listen to mouse events
without extending MouseHelper by enabling the events for a display
(2D or 3D):

    display.enableEvent(DisplayEvent.MOUSE_MOVED);
    display.enableEvent(DisplayEvent.MOUSE_DRAGGED);

(see javadoc for DisplayEvent to see a list of events and which you
can enable/disable). This is a recent addition to the package.
_From these events, you can get the mouse x,y position and use:

        VisADRay ray

display.getDisplayRenderer().getMouseBehavior().findRay(x,y);

which will give you the x,y(,z) positions in the VisAD box.  But still,
from there, you'd have to work backwards to find out what data object
this relates to as Bill says.

It would be nice if the MouseHelper could be configurable so direct
manipulation could be done with any mouse button, but that's not
the case.

Don Murray

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm