Re: javax/media/j3d required though not used?

Paul:

A couple of thoughts on this.

In the Windows world, I wanted to make it easy to get rolling with VisAD
and Jython, so I periodically create an install file that contains
everything they need -- Java, Java3D, visad.jar, jython.jar and some
scripts to get things rolling.  Perhaps you can take this approach as
well for your project?  WebStart might also be an option. I also know
that InstallWnere-Now (the freebie from zerog we use for packaging
programs in windows) can install a Java runtime that is customizable --
that is, you could include Java3D.

Secondly, yes you can probably use Java2D since none of that side
imports the J3D stuff (I believe) but I wanted to mention a trade-off
I've encountered recently:  If you have images that need to be reshaped
when displayed as a texture map (for example, a satellite image that
you're displaying in a VisAD box that has Latitude and Longitude as it's
axes), Java2D is considerably slower to display this than Java3D.  On
the other hand, if you resample the image first into a rectangle then
Java2D will do the job.

Hope that helps.

tom

--